Cal Poly

Health Insurance for Visiting Scholars

All J-1 exchange visitors are required to have health insurance while in the United States. Unlike many other countries, which bear the expense of health care for its residents, individuals in the U.S. are responsible for these expenses themselves. A single day of hospitalization can cost thousands of dollars. A good insurance policy gives you access to excellent medical facilities and provides protection against the enormous costs of health care.

Insurance Requirements

The U.S. Department of State requires that J-1 exchange visitors and their J-2 dependents have sickness and accident insurance for their entire stay in the USA. If the J-1 visitor spends time outside of the USA during the period of the program, health insurance must still be in place for the entire duration of the program. Minimum coverage must provide medical benefits ($100,000 per accident or illness), a deductible not to exceed $500 per accident or illness, expenses associated with the medical evacuation to the home country ($50,000), and repatriation of remains ($25,000). Email Susan Tripp with any questions about the requirements.

The Cal Poly International Scholar Health Insurance Plan

Cal Poly has negotiated a reasonable and comprehensive health insurance policy for international scholars. The Cal Poly plan is brokered by USI Student Insurance Services, USA, and administered by United Healthcare Insurance Company.

How Much Does it Cost?

United Healthcare Student and Scholar Insurance Plan Premium Costs for 2018-19 Academic Year

  FALL 2018 09/08/2018 - 12/24/2018 WINTER 2019 12/25/2017 - 03/27/2019 SPRING 2019 03/28/2018 - 06/20/2019 SUMMER 2019 06/21/2018 - 09/07/2019 MONTHLY
J-1 PREMIUM $442.67 $376.53 $345.60 $321.07 $124.80
SPOUSE $442.67 $376.53 $345.60 $321.07 $124.80
1 CHILD $442.67 $376.53 $345.60 $321.07 $124.80
2 OR MORE CHILDREN $858.33 $753.07 $691.20 $642.13 $249.60
ALL DEPENDENTS $1,328.00 $1,129.60 $1,036.80 $963.20 $374.40

Note:This plan does NOT include vision or dental coverage for anyone 19 years or older

Back to top


There is a $50 plan deductible per person per policy year for services provided within the PPO network, and a deductible of $300 for non-PPO services. If you go to a preferred provider, you pay a $20 copay to see the doctor and 10% of the charge. There is a $150 copay to go to an emergency room. This copay is waived if you are admitted to the hospital. If you go to a doctor outside your preferred provider network, then you pay a $20 Copay plus 30% of the cost after your deductible is met. Enrolled students who obtain medications from the Cal Poly pharmacy, will be reimbursed 100% for the cost after submitting a claim. If you get your medications at another pharmacy, you will be charged a copay between $15 and $50 dollars depending on the type of medication. See the full brochure for details.

Back to top

How do I enroll?

Purchase the Cal Poly health insurance by calling USI Student Insurance Services at 800-853-5899 upon arrival in the USA. Insurance must be purchased to cover the entire length of your stay. You may purchase the plan by quarter or by month. If your stay spans over two insurance policy periods (past September 7th) and the second period is not available for purchase, you will only be able to purchase insurance initially for the first policy period and then extend your coverage within the second policy period when it becomes available for purchase, usually in the late spring. The International Center will notify you when it becomes available to extend. Please be advised that rates vary for each policy year. After purchasing the plan over the phone, a receipt and proof of insurance coverage will be sent to you via email. If you do not receive it, please email to request it. Email Susan Tripp with any questions about the enrolling in the Cal Poly Plan.

Back to top

What does it cover?

Back to top

How do I get my Insurance ID card?

You may download your card by going to the UnitedHealthcare Student Resources page. Create a login account with your Cal Poly student ID number or Cal Poly email address, and your date of birth. You can find your Cal Poly ID number in the Student Center. When Cal Poly renews your insurance for the next enrolled quarter, you will not need a new card.

How Do I Find a Doctor?

You may see a doctor on campus at Cal Poly Health Services when they are open. See the web page for hours and services offered. You can make an appointment at You may also reach a Cal Poly health professional by phone on After-Hours Nurse Line at 805-756-1211.

Use the UnitedHealthcare Student Resources page and click on the Find Providers link to find a doctor in your network.

How Do I Submit a Claim?

  1. Mail to the address below all medical and hospital bills along with the patient’s name, and insured student’s name, address, SR ID number(Insured’s insurance Company ID number) and Cal Poly State University. A claim form is not required.
  2. Mail claims for payment within 90 days after the date of service to:
    UnitedHealthcare Student Resources
    P.O. Box 809025
    Dallas, TX 75380-9025

Back to top





There are no immunization or health tests required to purchase health insurance offered by USI Student Insurance Services, USA.

There are no immunization requirements to apply for a J-1 or F-1 visa, or entry to the USA.

© 2018 California Polytechnic State University Cal Poly International Center
Building 52, Room E32
San Luis Obispo, CA 93407
Phone: (805) 756-1477
Fax: (805) 756-5484

Web Accessibility Statement
Privacy Notice