Cal Poly

Once Accepted

After review of your exchange application is complete, you will receive an email from The email will say that the status of your application has changed and will direct you to log back into the exchange application to review your status. If you are accepted, the message will direct you to the DS-2019 Request Form for Exchange Students. The purpose of this form is to collect information required to issue you a DS-2019 visa eligibility document. To complete this form, you will be asked to submit the following:

  • Proof of funds in the amount of $5,300 US dollars per quarter (bank statement in English). There are three quarters in an academic year. If someone is supporting you, provide that person's bank statement or letter from the bank and a letter of support from that person. Here is a Sample Sponsor Letter (DOC). You will be required to show this same documentation at your visa interview. Here an Estimate of Costs per quarter of attendance at Cal Poly.
  • Copy of your passport page that shows name, birthplace, and valid date (usually has your picture)
  • If you have a spouse or children accompanying you to Cal Poly, also complete the Dependents Form.

Once Cal Poly has determined you are eligible for a DS-2019, the document will be created for you and sent to your university's study abroad office along with an acceptance letter to use to apply for a J-1 visa at a U.S. Embassy or Consulate. When you apply for your J-1 visa, you will be asked to provide proof of funds as specified on your DS-2019 form, show your acceptance letter and proof of payment of the I-901 SEVIS fee.

  1. The International Center will also create a web portal account for you, which you will use to reserve housing and register for classes.
  2. You will invited to participate in the International Welcome Ambassadors program where a Cal Poly student can assist you by answering questions and assisting with arrival. International Welcome Ambassadors are an initial student contact on campus to help answer questions you might have about coming to Cal Poly or the U.S. Once you are here, you can join in social activities to meet all the Welcome Ambassadors and form friendships with many students.
  3. Make your own housing arrangements as early as possible. See the International Housing web page for information.
  4. Before you can register for classes you must have valid health insurance. Unless you are sponsored by a government organization that requires you to use a particular insurance plan, you will be enrolled in the Cal Poly international health insurance plan and you will be charged the fee to your student account.  
  5. Read the New Students web page to familiarize yourself with class registration, housing, and visa application.
  6. Before departing for the USA, complete the J-1 Online Orientation course on your Cal Poly portal. You will be notified via email when the course is available to you.
  7. Upon arrival, complete online Check-in and attend the Orientation. Information about this will be emailed to your Cal Poly email address.

Back to top

© 2018 California Polytechnic State University Cal Poly International Center
Building 52, Room E32
San Luis Obispo, CA 93407
Phone: (805) 756-1477
Fax: (805) 756-5484

Web Accessibility Statement
Privacy Notice