Cal Poly

Health Insurance and Immunizations

The California State University system requires international students on F-1 and J-1 visas to maintain health insurance coverage while enrolled in classes at Cal Poly. Health insurance protects you from having to pay large medical bills that can arise even from simple medical procedures. Cal Poly will enroll students in the campus health insurance plan upon enrollment in classes each term including summer. You are also strongly advised to continue your coverage during school breaks. Fees for the insurance will be due when tuition fees are due. Students on approved Optional Practical Training (OPT) or Academic Training my enroll in the plan by phone by calling 800-853-5899 and paying with a credit or debit card.

Back to top

The Cal Poly International Student Health Insurance Plan

Cal Poly has negotiated a reasonable and comprehensive health insurance policy for international students. The Cal Poly plan is brokered by USI Insurance Services, and administered by Aetna Life Insurance. This plan does NOT include dental or vision coverage for students over 19 years of age.

Back to top

How Much Does it Cost?

Aetna International Student and Scholar Insurance Plan Premium Costs for 2017-18 Academic Year

Fall 2017
Winter 2018
Spring 2018
Summer 2018
Effective Date
12:00 AM
Termination Date
11:59 PM
Student Premium

These charges will be billed along with your tuition fees when you register for classes each term.

NOTE: This plan does NOT include vision or dental coverage.

If you would like to purchase insurance by month to cover your grace period after enrollment ends, or if you would like coverage for periods of OPT, academic training, or summer vacation quarter when you are not enrolled in classes, you may call USI Customer Service at 800-853-5899 and order an extension of coverage over the phone. The monthly cost is $123.11.

Additional co-payment and deductible amounts apply.

If you go to a preferred provider, you only pay a $10 co-payment to see a doctor, and no claim form needs to be submitted. There is a $50 copay to go to an emergency room. This deductible is waived if you are admitted to the hospital. Enrolled Cal Poly students can go to the Health and Counseling Center on campus, and submit at claim for reimbursement of all expenses. If you go to a doctor outside your preferred provider network, then you pay 25% of the cost after your deductible is met and you must submit a claim form along with receipts for charges. Enrolled students who obtain medications from the Cal Poly pharmacy, will be reimbursed 100% for the cost after submitting a claim form. If you get your medications at another pharmacy, you will be reimbursed for 50% of the cost. See the full brochure for details.

Back to top

What does it cover?

  • Medical plan includes medical coverage provided by Aetna Life Insurance Company.
  • For 24-Hour Nurse Advice call toll free: 800-556-1555.
  • Emergency travel medical evacuation and repatriation coverage administered by On Call International, Inc.
    • Download the On Call International brochure and be sure your parent or guardian keeps a copy of the On Call brochure while you are here at Cal Poly. They will need to use it to make arrangements for you on your behalf. It is import and that you call On Call immediately before making any arrangements for emergency travel back to your home country in case of a medical emergency, or repatriation of your remains should you die in the USA. For 24-Hour Emergency Travel Assistance call On Call International:
    • From within the USA call 877-318-6901
    • From outside the USA dial U.S. access code then: 603-328-1909 or visit

Back to top

Vision and dental services

The medical plan does NOT include coverage for vision correction (eyeglasses, contact lenses, or vision exams) or dental services (unless related to an injury). However, Aetna does offer a dental and vision discount membership plan you may purchase by calling (800) 853-5899. The cost is $29 per year.

If you wish, you may purchase your own vision and dental insurance. The eHealth web page offers price and coverage comparisons.

You may also Aetna's Vital Savings on Dental, dental services discount program.

Back to top

How do I get my Insurance ID card?

You may download your card by logging into the Aetna Student Health web page. You will enter your Cal Poly student ID number and your date of birth. You can find your Cal Poly ID number in the Student Center. You may also get your card on your phone with the Aetna mobile app. Text “Apps” to 44040 to download the app.

When Cal Poly renews your insurance in the fall, you will not need a new card.

Back to top

How Do I Submit a Claim?

  1. Download a claim form:
  2. Fill out the appropriate claim form, attach receipts, and mail them to the address or e-mail address on the form.

Questions regarding claims may be directed to USI Insurance Services Student Insurance by calling (800) 853-5899 or e-mail

If you have additional questions about the Cal Poly plan, please contact Susan Tripp by email or by phone at 805-756-7535.

IMPORTANT: Keep your address information in the Student Center current. Your Home address should always reflect where you are currently living. Cal Poly will send your Home address information to USI so they can mail you information about your insurance plan and your claims reimbursement checks.

Back to top

Overview of How to Use Your Insurance Plan

Read through this overview presentation about how to use Aetna Student Insurance.

Back to top

Allowable Exceptions

Students who are sponsored by a government organization which provides health insurance as a part of their sponsorship, are exempt from enrolling in the Cal Poly health insurance plan. Sponsored students will be asked to supply proof of insurance coverage to the International Center. The International Center will review the insurance plans to check that they meet the CSU requirements.

Back to top


Refer to the University Health and Counseling Center immunization requirements information for enrolled students.

There are no immunization or health tests required to purchase the Cal Poly International Student Health Insurance plan.

There are no immunization requirements to apply for a J-1 or F-1 visa, or entry to the USA.

Back to top

© 2015 California Polytechnic State University Cal Poly International Center
Building 52, Room E32
San Luis Obispo, CA 93407
Phone: (805) 756-1477
Fax: (805) 756-5484